Browsing Misc's Archives »»

2009 18 Nov


I’m hardworking, determined, and moving away from my family, to live all by myself. Living so far makes it more difficult for things, and my schooling may put my family in an economic squeeze.

Published under Misc | send this post
2009 17 Nov

I work for a wonderful company with an amazing supervisor. However, I work about an hour outside of town and have to make a daily commute. With the price of gas and numerous car repairs, (as carpooling is not an option for me) I began looking for another job. I made this decision with a heavy heart, as the only negative factors about this job were the daily wear and tear on my car and the gas money. This decision was also a difficult one for the fact that I've only been employed by this company for a year. I haven't told my supervisor or my co-workers of my decision, nor did they know I was looking for a different job.

I recently received a call back for an interview for another company, one that is located in the town I live in. My interview is next week and my chances are very good. If I am offered this job, I plan to give my two weeks notice at my current place of employment.

I have already listed my current supervisor as a reference with my resume. I'm hoping that if they do call her, the conversation will go something like, "Oh, I wasn't aware she was looking elsewhere but she has brought her expenses regarding the commute to my attention (more than once.) I would hate to lose her, but she is great, etc." However, I've never been in this situation before so I've been a little stressed out with what the outcome may be.

My questions are as follows:

-As stated earlier, I have already listed my current supervisor for a reference, as I have a done a great job with this company and the job I am interviewing for is in a similar line of work.. Should I let her know ahead of time (as in after the interview) that she may be called to give a reference for me? Or should I not say anything and allow my prospective employer to call her if they do, without giving her a head's up?

-At my interview next week, should I let them know that I haven't told my current employer that I've been looking for another job? Does that look bad?

-If my boss is contacted during this process, can I get in any trouble (e.g., getting fired, etc.) for any of this? I am a good employee (as told to me by my current supervisor) and have never been in any trouble at my work and would like to part on good terms with my boss.

I've gotten a bit anxious over this so any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Published under Misc | send this post
2009 16 Nov

Sooo I'm in a sticky situation….I currently work at Dunkin Donuts, which is my first job, and have since the day the owner of the store opened it, I've been with her since day one which would be about….7 months roughly. Anyways she was the BEST boss ever, she was always so nice to me, very sweet, even gave me a raise without me asking for one. Anyways, she recently sold DD like a week ago without telling any of her employees, which greatly surprised me (something about having to go out the country because her father needed surgery) anyways she was forced to sell the business because of it. We have a new owner and he is nice….that's all I can say because I only met him a couple days ago and worked with him for only 3. The thing is people are leaving. My favorite shift leader is leaving in two weeks so like (May 1st the latest) because she got a better offer for more pay at Starbucks, and the other shift leader that worked there with us quit too because he got a better offer at another DD (he is the manager now there). Now recently like yesterday actually, my former coworker who is now the manager at DD called me up and wants me to work at his store, he gave me a really amazing recommendation to the owner of that store. He really wants me to work there, and today I went to check the store out and I really really like it. They definitely get more business compared to the one I work at which means they can give me more hours, and can afford it. I'm a senior in high school, and I did tell them up front that I will need prom and graduation off, and that my sister and cousin are having weddings as well, and that I will work there if they can guarantee those days off. They said that was no problem at all I just need to give a weeks notice, plus I know the manager personally so any day I need off I'll let him know, he even said I can work however many hours I can handle. Which is awesome having that option to work as much as I want, especially with summer coming.Problem is they want me to work ASAP, so I'm going into there tomorrow to work. Luckily at the one that I still work at I have Saturday and Sunday off, and resume work Monday. It would be one thing if my old boss that sold it owned the DD I currently work at but she doesn't. I've only known the new owner for a couple of days but I know he really really likes me….I really really wish I could give my 2 weeks notice but I can't, it isn't possible when the other DD wants me to start immediately which I have no problem with, but I'm not that type of person to just be like "fuck y'all, bye bitches" because I like my co workers, and I don't want to look bad.. But like I said my shift leader is leaving, things are changing and I'm not liking the changes at all.If leave then there is only 4 people on schedule and when my favorite shift leader leaves then only….3 people will be on the schedule including the boss, (he puts himself in the schedule to save money instead of paying someone else) I would stay if I had my old boss, and if my favorite shift leader was staying but she is leaving and the boss already sold. My shift leader even told me once I quit, and I call the boss I currently work for, he is going to call the old boss because he relies on her for advice, and she is eventually going to call me and ask me why I'm leaving. Which even though she was amazing boss, I don't think she has the right to call and ask why I'm leaving because she doesn't own DD anymore, and plus she didn't tell anyone, including me she was leaving. I literally cane into work, saw the new boss and my first thought was "oh look they hired someone new" not knowing he was actually the owner. So in my opinion I think that was a crappy move on her part, yeah she may have her reasons, but damn after everything is finalized can the team as a whole get some kind of goodbye? I had to find out he was the new owner through a co worker. Anyways like I said I wish I could give them time but I can't. My new shift leader wants me to call on Saturday and quit. But lie and not tell them about the new job I was thinking of being upfront and just saying I got a better job offer where I start immediately, or saying something like ""I'm leaving DD to explore other opportunities." but I know the new and the old boss would be pushy and ask. Plus I'll eventually have to get my pay check and return my uniform at which I don't want to be awkward….anyways I'm in a dilemma, like I said I wish I could give ample notice but I can't….I don't want to burn any bridges there, but I go off to college in August where I'll be focusing on my studies and not working at all. So it's not like it's a major career choice I'm making. I don't know what I should do. Any help/advice?

Published under Misc | send this post
« Previous Page — Next Page »